Monday, November 12, 2018

Fat B*tch

Today was an interesting day for one reason: a student called me a fat bitch. Yup, you read that correctly. I'm a fat bitch. You know what? If that had happened 5 years ago, I probably would have cried. Today? Today I'm going to embrace it.

Let me tell you how this came up. The grading period just ended. This student did not pass. She asked about her grade and I pointed out what caused her to not pass. She was not pleased with my response. When I walked away, she said "fat bitch". It's as simple as that.

I'm ok with it. Yes, I'm fat but I love these curves. Yes, I won't pass a student who hasn't earned that grade so I guess I'm a bitch.   ¯\_(ツ)_/¯  I think I've finally grown a thick enough skin that I just don't care. Or maybe I recognize that I have enough on my plate so worrying about what a teenager thinks about me is not a priority at all. Hate me. Love me. My job is to teach you math. You aren't going to learn if I just pass you along and pray that your next math teacher is able to reach you.

So to all my fellow teachers out there, keep on teaching and keep on being bitches.

-Clare G. S.

2 comments:

  1. I'm going to be politically incorrect (so what is new). Any one who uses language like that used by the student is low class. My mother used to say "Sticks and stones may hurt your bones, but words can never harm you." ( Remember her saying this often. . . just don't remember what was going in my life as a kid that caused the remark.) You are a beautiful classy lady. Nil illegitimi carborundum.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's my Latin lesson for the day. :) I had to do some Googling and now I really like that phrase!

      Delete