Wednesday, September 28, 2022

Summer Recap: Part 1

A photo of mammoth bones to get your attention

Holy crud, where has 2022 gone?  It's way past time for me to write about my summer.

In my current job I work nearly year-round. I do get the usual days off during the school year (1 week for Thanksgiving, 2 weeks for winter, 1 week for Spring Break, etc) but I work most of the summer. While I was at work my husband worked his butt off to spruce up the house. We now have a nice walkway from the back door. This is really helpful because the dogs were tracking in dirt and mud. He also built nice flowerbeds in the front yard and populated them with some ivy. He then added above-ground sprinklers. I am so fortunate to have such a handy partner!

My sister, P, decided to visit our parents in Arizona in June but she needed another adult to help her with her kiddos since her spouse didn't have enough PTO. She was kind enough to pay for my plane ticket and in exchange I helped take care of her two daughters. Y'all. I do not know how you parents take care of two children under the age of 5. It was fun and I have some great memories but I was always tired. And I didn't have to do as much because I'm not mom! I have learned the importance of always having snacks nearby. We had a great visit and enjoyed having "snacks in the clouds" as my niece, B, puts it.

A photo of virga in the dessert. Virga is when it's raining but the rain evaporates before it is able to hit the ground.

During the summer my parents-in-law visited for a week. It was really nice to spend time with them, my husband, my sister-in-law, and her husband. We did two escape rooms (and had the fastest time on one of them!), a ghost tour of Austin, visited the mammoth site and Dr Pepper museum in Waco, and spent a few hours boating on the local lake. I am incredibly grateful that I get along so well with my husband's side of the family.

Me at the Dr Pepper museum

Debbie Downer Warning: In late July I had a routine medical procedure that required me to be under anesthesia. I was told I would be in a "twilight state" where I would be able to respond to questions and commands (turn your head to the left, does this hurt?, etc) but that I would not remember any part of the procedure. Unfortunately this was not the case for me. Not only could I feel what the doctor was doing, to this day I remember most of it. The doctor did not make any mention of that in the official notes for the procedure. This concerns me greatly because now I fear that this will happen to me again. To add insult to injury, Patient Relations is not responding to my messages (I have called and sent an email weeks ago). All I want is for my doctor to correctly describe what happened during the procedure. I want to give-up on this because it is emotionally taxing for me to have to repeatedly remember what happened but I refuse to give-up because this can affect my future healthcare.

I hate to end on a low note but next up is Bell County Comic Con and that definitely deserves a good amount of space. So instead let's end with a teaser photo of me and my friend at BCCC:

Darth Maul and Me

-Clare G. S.

No comments:

Post a Comment