Monday, September 12, 2016

I'm not quite dead yet

I feel a bit like the guy on the shoulders
I apologize for the hiatus. Life last week was crazy and then I caught a cold. I've decided that I need to change the days I post. Wednesday is too crazy; I have choir rehearsal and sometimes I have all-staff meeting which leaves very little time for writing. I'm going to try writing Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday since I don't have any regular commitments on those days.

The reason why last week was so nuts was partially because I had hall duty. That means that for 20 minutes before classes begin each morning I had to stand in the cafeteria and make sure none of the students acted like fools. It's boring but I understand the need for it. We have a rotating schedule so last week was it until the next grading period. Unfortunately, that took away 20 vital minutes in my day. That's when I make copies, take work to ISS, and answer e-mails.

Well, it wouldn't have been so bad if things didn't seem to pop up during my conference each day. Someone from Texas Instruments (they make the calculator we use) came by to talk and see if I needed help. She's a wonderful person but I just didn't have time that day for an in-person talk. However, that was the only day she was on our campus. Another day I walked work to ISS, came back to my room and found out that another student had just been sent to ISS and needed her work. I took her work over and then I had to go to a secretary to drop off work for a student who was out sick for the week. I got my exercise that day!

It all really came to a grinding halt on Friday when I woke up with a bit of a sore throat. By Saturday morning I was miserable. I definitely had caught a cold. Sunday was pretty bad but I decided to go to work today anyway. Looking back, it probably would have been wiser to stay home. I really hate having a sub because it usually means more work when I get back.

The good news is that tomorrow my students have a test so that means I can rest my voice a bit. Here's hoping they do well!

-Clare G. S.

P.S. - No walking recently because I wasn't feeling well. :(

No comments:

Post a Comment