Tuesday, September 20, 2016

Substitute Teachers

Let me start by saying that I hate having a sub. It is much easier to go to work sick than to deal with a sub. It was especially bad when I had multiple preps (I taught Spanish 3, advanced 3, 4, AP 4, IB 4, AP 5, and IB 5) because the sub had a tendency to give the handouts to the wrong classes. When I have a sub I have to deal with a messy classroom, writing up students for their behavior, trusting the sub required the students to follow my rules (must be in their assigned seat, no electronic devices, no food/drink/perfume, etc), and having no idea until later if the sub gave the correct directions (paper A is due before class ends, paper B is due tomorrow, etc).

Today and tomorrow I have required training all day so I had no choice but to get a sub. I returned to my classroom at the end of the day and I am NOT happy. Here's what went wrong while I was out:

  • The sub did not leave any notes for me so that makes me assume all of my classes were little angels. I really don't think that's true.
  • No one was marked tardy. Again, I don't think that's true.
  • There were food wrappers littering my floor which means students were eating in class. That's not allowed in any classroom at my school.
  • There was a pencil stuck in my ceiling which means my students definitely were not angelitos but the sub didn't tell me.
  • A few of the tennis balls that were on the bottom of the chairs were scattered about the room. Again, the sub did not leave a note saying students were playing with the tennis balls.
  • Some papers were paper clipped and on my desk and others were in the turn-in box. My instructions said the students should turn in everything to the turn-in tray. I have no clue why the papers were separated.
What tops this all off is that I have the same sub tomorrow. We are short subs so there is nothing I can do about it. That means that tomorrow I will once again find myself on my hands and knees cleaning the broken pencils, food wrappers, crumpled papers, etc from my floor. Also, the students have a quiz tomorrow. The good news is that they can use notes so I don't have to worry about the sub watching for much cheating. However, I have a strict no talking/whispering and no electronic device while any quizzes are out. I have the distinct feeling that the sub won't write down the names of those who talk or use electronic devices.

Well, as you might have noticed, I like to end on a happy note. I won $100 in school supplies from GoGuardian! They are a company that makes software that allows me to monitor my students' computer use while they are in my class. I entered a drawing about a month or two ago and I got the news today that I won! They will buy me $100 worth of school supplies from my Amazon wish list. I filled it with pencils and lines paper. Specifically I will receive 3 grosses of quality pencils and 150 sheets of paper. I ration my pencils; I add two pencils to my "borrow box" everyday and almost everyday by 4pm that box is empty. I'll still have that problem but at least it won't cost me anything. :)
Yay!

-Clare G. S.

1 comment:

  1. Gee, after all the years I was a sub, the teacher returned to a neat, clean classroom. The papers were put in alphabetical order (I thought this would make it easier to enter into the grade book) since I had the time to do it. Usually the students behaved well, so I didn't leave a lot of notes regarding behariour. Although, I don't remember how many times I told a class that there were things their teacher wanted done and they would be done. The class did have the choice of "doing it the easy way or the hard way." Most classes chose "easy", i.e. I wasn't in their faces and on their case. After reading this, now I understand why teachers asked me to be their sub. (And yes, I did chew out a student for not standing during the Pledge of Allegiance and was told their teacher didn't make them stand.)

    ReplyDelete