Friday, August 26, 2016

End of the week


Or when you don't want yourself/your husband to starve to death
Well, I have made it through my first week of school as an Algebra teacher. It was not an easy week. I would say over 90% of my students are just fabulous. That <10% is tough. Today I almost had a physical fight break out in one class. I was definitely saved by the bell because it rang just when things were getting really bad. I'd rather not focus on the negative so let's talk about some positive topics.

First, it may help to know my team a bit. Our leader is K. She has been teaching for a couple of decades. In fact, she taught our lead teacher when our lead teacher was in high school! (I don't understand this because K does not look like she is old enough for that to be possible.) The other Algebra I teacher is O. She is new to the district but not new to teaching. She came from an, uh, interesting district. It sounds like the admin there were completely clueless.

Today we were chatting while picking up some supplies and we all agreed on something: it is really nice to work with each other. You see, I think that I can work with just about any reasonable person and maybe even a few unreasonable people. What's really nice about this year is that I actually enjoy working with K and O. (Side note: I just realized that I could totally call them OK. Can I call them OK? Haha.) We all agreed that it makes our day much easier when we get along well with our teammates. It's good to have one part of my day that I know won't be stressful because I'm working with good people.

Speaking of school, I realized that I have a lot of digital paperwork that I need to do because our school changed how we deal with those minor problems that tend to grow into big problems (using phones in class, talking back, purposefully bothering other students, etc). Hopefully I will get better at doing that daily instead of once a week.

My only other news is that I've only walked one mile this week. :( Trying to get back into the swing of things was hectic so I decided to not go on my morning walks so that I could get a little more sleep. My plan is to walk at least two miles tomorrow morning. I would really like to then do a two mile walk in the evening but I think that may be unwise. Oh yeah, I was a little bad. I had my first soda in about three weeks. I'm not too upset because I used to have a soda a day so one in three weeks is a HUGE improvement. :)

Until next time!
-Clare G. S.

No comments:

Post a Comment