Thursday, August 11, 2016

Support

First of all, I should mention that I don't plan on writing here daily. I know myself and it's just not going to happen. I think starting next week I will try to update every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday.

Now, let's talk about support. I am incredibly blessed to have found the most amazing husband. He is really my best friend and I think we work together really well. He has the tendency to jump into things head first and I am much more cautious and like to plan out everything beforehand. We usually find a middle ground. When it comes to this "healthier life" I took a page out of his book and just jumped into it. I was shopping for *ahem* undergarments when I realized how unhappy I was with my appearance. It kind of hits hard when you realize a plus-size store doesn't stock much in your size of underwear. I decided in that dressing room that I would do something to be healthier.

I went home and told him my plan: no sodas, a mile walk everyday, etc. He said that it sounded good. I asked him if he wanted me to wake him up the next morning to go for my first walk. (Side note: we are both teachers so this was a big request. Waking up at 6:30am during summer break is a little insane) He ended up missing that first walk because he has major allergy issues and going outside would not be helpful. However, he has gone on many of the walks with me. He is my rock and I can lean on him whenever I need to do so.

What has really surprised me is the support I have received from my family and friends. I've already had positive comments here and on Instagram. One friend texted me telling me about a cookbook she loves that has helped her lose a few pounds. One of my sisters texted to let me know about a free app that will keep count of calories burned, distance walked, etc. Another friend suggested I look into buying a FitBit. It's awesome that even though I don't live very close to most of my friends and family members I still have their support.

I know that at some point I'm going to want to stop but I'm hoping you all will remind me how important it is to stick to this. I feel amazing after I complete my walks. It's such a great way to start the day! My health is much more important than grading another paper or watching another episode of Doctor Who. So, when that day comes I'm looking to YOU to tell me to come back and read this. No, I won't die if I stop. But how great will it feel when I can say "Man, I used to get winded walking a mile. That's just a warm-up now!" Here's to being a better me. :D

-Clare G. S.

1 comment:

  1. LOVE!! Keep it up. It's like AA, "It works if you work it."

    ReplyDelete